UPDATE: On April 17, the IRS plans to launch an online tool called Get My Payment. It will let you to check the status of your payment and find out when it will be deposited into your bank account or mailed to you.
Who gets money? How much?
- If you make up to $75,000 for individuals and up to $150,000 for married couples you will get a stimulus check.
- You will get up to $1,200 for individuals or $2,400 for married couples and up to $500 for each child.
- You do not need to file your 2019 taxes to get your check – but you do need to use a free online portal to get it faster if you have not filed!
What do I need to do to get my payment?
- If you’ve filed taxes for 2019, no action is needed to get your stimulus payment. The IRS will automatically deposit your payment into you bank account if that is how you got your tax refund.
- If you chose to get your tax refund by mail, the IRS will mail your stimulus check to the address on your 2019 tax return.
- Turbo Tax has a free online portal for people who haven’t filed 2019 taxes yet.
- Use Cash App to direct deposit your money if you do not have or prefer using a bank account.
- Social security recipients will automatically receive payments through direct deposit.
When can I expect my payment?
- The IRS is expecting to start direct-deposit payments as early as April 9, 2020.
- Paper checks will be mailed beginning April 24, 2020.
- Stimulus payments will not affect your 2020 income.